Inserted into the jawbone, Dental Implants are artificial structures that can be extremely effective in replacing a lost tooth, as well as aesthetically pleasing.
With screw-like devices, the dental surgeon inserts an implant into the jawbone, where it acts as an anchor for an artificial tooth, called a crown.
A device called an abutment connects the artificial tooth to the dental implant.
The crown is custom-made to fit the person’s mouth and match the colour of their teeth. Crowns look, feel, and function like natural teeth.
Implants have several advantages over dentures, which are removable artificial teeth:
- are more natural and comfortable
- have a higher success rate
- improve chewing function
- lead to a lower risk of cavities developing in nearby teeth
- lead to better maintenance of bone at the site of the lost tooth
- cause decreased sensitivity in nearby teeth
- do not need to be taken out and cleaned every night
However, dental implants are not suitable for everyone. The implanting devices must bond with the jawbone, so a person’s bones must be healthy before they can undergo implant surgery. Please ask us for more details. We will talk you through the whole process, including timescale and costs.